Probably reading the handwriting on the wall, Congressman Henry Waxman has announced that he is retiring.
Like George Miller of the North Bay area, Henry Waxman entered Congress in 1974, along with the post-Watergate class of legislators.
Let us count the reasons why Waxman is leaving the building, so to speak:
1. Obamacare has turned out to be one big turkey. From millions of people losing their health insurance, to struggling Americans fighting just to get part-time work.
2. The Post Office is going bankrupt, in part from legislation which he co-sponsored.
3. Homeless veterans stayed homeless, and the Brentwood VA fell into neglect for decades.
4. Trillion dollar annual deficits and rising national debt.
5. Crony capitalism, from stimulus to Solyndra.
6. Congressional Hearings wasted on Tobacco, steroid abuse, etc.
The list goes on and on.
More long-term Dems are jumping ship, as they should.
How could it be otherwise? George Will was right -- the best antidote to liberalism is liberalism unchecked.